Play is the work of young children, and if play is the work-Toys are the tools! Providers are are on the hunt for good quality educational toys. This guide highlights 10 companies offering quality products to entertain the children in your care, Some of these toys I've owned, or have been recommend by providers our Daycare Spaces and Ideas Community over the years.
This site uses affiliate links (What's that?)
Melissa & Doug
It's really difficult for me to only list a couple of products from this great company. Their Wooden Grocery Store stand is very popular in our group, you can see some of the ways our members have transformed it in their spaces here.
1. Latches Wooden Activity Board: These are great for improving fine motor skills. Many providers with limited space have even turned towards using these to create wall mounted activities.
2. Food Groups: This adorable set of play food is so much fun for your Dramatic Play Space. They can also be used as a nutrition lesson, by sorting the food items by food group. They come in these adorable crates that can even be re-purposed into storage containers or invitations for play.
3. Farm Chunky Puzzle: Melissa & Doug have such a huge selection of wonderful wooden puzzles. They have large floor puzzles for older children and these chunky puzzles with perfect sized pieces for smaller hands to assemble.
4. Wooden Grocery Store: In addition to offering a wide variety of items for your Housekeeping area (from pretend cooking items to cleaning items), they also offer a variety of other pretend play items such as this grocery stand. Over the years I've seen this piece transformed into a variety of fun pretend play invitations from Farmer's Markets to Restaurants. See some of the transformations here.
Children love creating their own small worlds. From Animal habitats to far off countries Safari Ltd. has you covered with their large assortment of figurines.
1. Penguin Toob: Safari Ltd. offers a huge selection of almost any kind of animal you would ever need! From domesticated animals, to forest animals. They are great to teach young children science concepts such as a habitats, and classifying (which animals fly, have fur etc). Check out how a community member used these to create a Penguin habitat for her sensory bin.
2. Fruits and Vegetable Toob: I love the variety of educational figurines they use including these Fruit and Vegetable ones. They can be used for sorting, as counters for math games. or used with 3-part cards to match with real photos.
3. Pets Bulk Bag: Safari Ltd. offers a variety of their popular collections in a bulk bag item. This is especially helpful for providers caring for large groups.
If you are looking to incorporate hands on fun with learning, Learning Resources is your place. They offer a variety of vibrant toys that focus on counting, literacy, colors, and shapes. Not to mention some must have items for your childcare space such as math link cubes and their great selection of math counters. Over the years I've owned many of their products which have outlasted many other brands.
1. Farmers Market Color Set: In addition to just being a really fun set to use with your pretend play Farmer's Market set up-these are also great for sorting! Sort by color, size, fruit/vegetable, and more!
2. Pretend Play Calculator Cash Register: This sturdy Cash Register is on my must have list. It had to be one of the most used items I owned. From pretend Grocery Stores, to Restaurants this register always had a home.
3. Primary Science Lab Set: If you are looking for items for your Science center, be sure to check out the early Science products from Learning Resources. From lab equipment for young children to early experiments to help young children better understand the world around them-you can find it there.
Educational Insights offers toys for Children of all ages. You may already be familiar with some of their award winning products such as Hot Dots, and Geo Safari.
1. The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel game: Educational insights offers a great collection of early board games for young children. This particular one is designed to help young children learn their colors.
2. Shapes Bean Bags: A good set of Bean Bags is on my short list of must have items for Childcare Providers. In addition to helping with hand eye coordination, and improving gross motor skills they can be used to create fun activities to get kids moving. Educational insights offers different sets, but I like this one because it can be used to practice shapes & colors.
3. Drill Activity Center: This toy is so much fun! It helps improve fine motor skills, coordination and creative thinking skills too!
The Little Tikes brand is well known amongst Childcare Providers. Established in 1969 they've created some of the most loved toys by childcare providers all over the country. Their highly coveted Outdoor toys, can even bought used-still in great shape, even after years of use.
1. Cozy Coupe: These durable cars are coveted by Toddlers. One isn't enough.
2. Trampoline: Even in the Winter, you have a way to get the sillies out.
3. First Slide: Over the years this slide has been shared many times in our community (both inside and out).
Little Folks Visuals
Children love flannel boards and flannel board stories. They are great for literacy and encourage young children to create and re-tell stories. I was so pleased to find these high quality felt pieces by Little Folks Visuals.
1. Sea Life: These are printed on thick high quality felt. All of the pieces are visually stunning. Best of all they are Pre-cut and ready to play with.
2. Farm Set: This set includes a great selection of Farm animals-and is perfect to accompany your next rendition of "Old MacDonald".
3. Trucks, and Trains and Planes: This set was so popular in my Childcare program. Most of the time it made it's way to the transportation area!
Marvel Education Company
Their name may be a little less familiar, but Marvel Education Company shouldn't be overlooked when you are looking for items for your childcare program. Some of my favorite products of theirs are their pretend people, and outdoor sand toys.
1. Friends with Diverse Abilities: Marvel education has a HUGE selection of play people. This is one of my favorite sets. They help facilitate conversations with young children about people with differing abilities.
2. Pretend & Play Hispanic Family: Marvel's section of Multi-Cultural and Multi-Generational pretend families are amazing.
3. Professionals: Like their other sets this set of professionals doesn't disappoint. These are fabulous toys to use when talking about community helpers and people in our towns.
I have to admit I'm a sucker when it comes to wooden toys and fabric play food. HABA has so many adorable and educational choices. They also a favorite of mine for infant toys.
1. Clutching Toy: HABA offers a variety of clutching toys for Infants.
3. Block and Tackle Pulley: HABA has a Terra Kids collection that encourages exploring an building, This pulley provides hours of fun.
3. Soft Sandwich: Doesn't this look good enough to eat? With HABA play food children can peel bananas, remove the meat from a rib bone, and even crack an egg!
T.S Shure Is well known for their Travel Games, and Crafts sets. They should be on your radar if you are looking for educational magnet sets too!
1. Dog Magnets: From Pets to Dinosaurs they have a large variety of magnets you can use in your Daycare.
Magna-Tiles: Every time someone in our Community asks about the "Most Played with Toy" Magna-Tiles are always on the list. This fun building toy allows you to build all kinds of sculptures. The company has a variety of different sets and accessories that interchange with each other. Keep your eyes peeled during the Holidays for some great deals on this top toy.
Thanks for stopping by! I'm Melissa. Click here to learn more about Daycare Spaces & Ideas
Print a FREE copy of my 2016-2017 Weekly Thematic Calendar
Are you a home based childcare provider?
Let me help you save time!
Join the Pre-K Printables Club for unlimited access to all of my printable activities !
Daycare Spaces and Ideas Printables club Membership
Thank you for your interest in joining the Pre-K Printables Club!
Are you exhausted from running around the web trying to find educational activities for your childcare or homeschool Pre-K program?
Whether you are searching for tot tray, file folder games, learning center activities , or morning work for your students-the search is over.
Become a member Today and let Daycare Spaces and Ideas help save you time!
Your One Time Membership fee includes:
*Please note: After I set you up in my system I will email your Login Info. Please allow up to 3 Business Days.
Shop my Products
Circle Time Binder-Digital Download
Before you shop! Do you want access to ALL of my printables (including all versions of my Circle Time Binder)? Join my printables club!
This 21- page printable includes the following pages:
Circle Time Skills
Who's at home?
Who is here today?
How are you feeling?
Months of the Year x2
Calendar date Pieces x2
Days of the week x2
Yesterday was, Today is, Tomorrow will be
Today's Weather is
Uppercase Letters Poster
Lowercase Letters Poster
Check out this post for a closer look inside this pack, and assembly directions:
Camping Activity Pack-Digital Download
Want access to ALL of the Daycare Spaces and ideas printable activities? Join the Pre-K Printables Club!
Camping is such a fun summertime activity! Inside each of my activity packs you will find an assortment of easy to assemble activities. You can easily turn these activities into a variety of hands on learning centers. Use them to create tot trays or file folder games.
Help the children in your care learn literacy skills, and math skills. Some of the skills covered in this pack are: colors, shapes uppercase and lowercase letter identification, one to one correspondence, counting, and ordering numbers 1-10.
Inside this 61-Page Printable Activity pack you will find the following 20 activities:
Campfire Shape Clip Cards
Tent Shape Clip Cards
Camping literacy cards
Camping Shape Matching Puzzles
Color Matching Tent activity match up
Camping activity match up
Roll a S’more game
Camping Pre-Writing/Cutting Practice
Lantern uppercase and lowercase letter matching file folder activity
Camping Count and Clip Cards
Day & Night sorting activity
Camping Puzzles 1-10 & 11-20
Marshmallow Roasting counting mats 1-10 without frames
Marshmallow Roasting counting mats 1-10 with frames Tent
Backpack Size Ordering Activity
Camping Patterning Activity
“What’s your favorite camping activity?” group poll
Camping 3-part cards
Camping word wall cards
At the campground I spy…
Also includes Cover, Directions, TOS, and Graphics Credit
Looking for some camping activities? Be sure to check out my FREE camping Themed Lesson planning page here!
Are you a childcare provider?
Join my FREE FB Group!
Under the Sea Activity Pack-Digital Download
*Join the Pre-K Printables Club for access to ALL of the Daycare Spaces Printable Activities including this pack!
Let's take a closer look at the animals in the ocean with this Under the Sea Pre-K/Tot Activity Pack. Inside each of my activity packs you will find an assortment of easy to assemble activities. You can easily turn these activities into a variety of hands on learning centers. Use them to create tot trays or file folder games.
Help the children in your care learn literacy skills, and math skills. Some of the skills covered in this pack are: colors, shapes uppercase and lowercase letter identification, one to one correspondence, counting, and visual discrimination.
This 59 page Pre-K activity pack includes the following activities:
Crab Shape Clip Cards
Clam Color Matching Puzzles
Starfish Color Sorting Puzzles
Ocean Themed Cutting/Tracing
Sea First Sounds Clip Cards
Match the pearl uppercase and lowercase letter matching file folder activity
Ocean Themed Count and Clip Cards
Ocean Themed 12 frame puzzle
Ocean Puzzles 1-10
Starfish counting mats 1-10 with frames
Under the Sea counting mat 1-20
Under the Sea counting mats 1-10 without frames
Whale size sorting
Ocean Themed I Spy..
Ocean Themed 3-part cards
Shark Matching Activity
Ocean Themed Patterning Activity
Under the Sea Roll & Color
Label a Fish
Cover, TOS, Directions, and Graphics Credit
Have your photos featured on Daycare Spaces and Ideas!
Find a Provider