Since September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, I felt it was a great time to share some suggestions on ways you can support a family with a Childhood Cancer diagnoses.
As some of you know, My Son was diagnosed with a Medulloblastoma Brain Tumor at the age of 6. Although he struggles with long term side effects, we are so thankful my Son's is still Cancer Free . Having a child diagnosed with Cancer was one of the most difficult times of our lives thus far, but at the same time, It also was a time of great growth for our family (you can read about my Son's Journey Here).
We learned to rely on each other a little bit more, we learned how to accept help, and we learned that the moment we are in right now... in this very second... is the most important.
People are truly kind. Through my Son's Journey, we encountered so many kind and compassionate people-of all ages. We were fortunate enough to feel the generosity of complete strangers. I say "feel" and not "receive" because it truly is a feeling that radiates from your heart through you whole body.
A friend asked me the other day what folks can do when they find out someone (especially a child) they know, or care for has been diagnosed with Cancer and how they can help-so from a Mom that has walked in those shoes here is some advice:
1. We are in the moment-so let that rub off on you. Share the LOVE! Hug those you love more often, and tell them you love them. The more the better.
2. Be aware we don't know what we need, we are probably just trudging through the basics. Instead of saying "If you need anything .. just let me know!!" offer something concrete to a family in treatment : a hot meal, mow their yard, take care of their pets, run errands, bring over some treats, a bag of groceries, a Monthly Maid service, or a Gas Gift card (to help defray the costs of Hospital Trips, etc.)
3. Know that we heard your offer, and appreciate it (even if we are too overwhelmed to take you up on your offer right now).
4. If you have a child in your care that has been diagnosed with Cancer-encourage the other children to make get well pictures or cards for them-let them know they are being thought of.
5. We are not contagious. There are days we are up for company, or a visit somewhere other than a hospital. Make plans with us.
6. Support the local resources that help the families in your area. Giving to non-profit organizations that support childhood Cancer patients is a great cause. Here is a link to some that may be in your area.
7. Talk to the Children in your care about Empathy. Read books about people who are different abled , and talk about how we can show compassion.
Thanks for stopping by! I'm Melissa. Click here to learn more about Daycare Spaces & Ideas
Print a FREE copy of my 2016-2017 Weekly Thematic Calendar
Are you a home based childcare provider?
Let me help you save time!
Join the Pre-K Printables Club for unlimited access to all of my printable activities !
Daycare Spaces and Ideas Printables club Membership
Thank you for your interest in joining the Pre-K Printables Club!
Are you exhausted from running around the web trying to find educational activities for your childcare or homeschool Pre-K program?
Whether you are searching for tot tray, file folder games, learning center activities , or morning work for your students-the search is over.
Become a member Today and let Daycare Spaces and Ideas help save you time!
Your One Time Membership fee includes:
*Please note: After I set you up in my system I will email your Login Info. Please allow up to 3 Business Days.
Shop my Products
Circle Time Binder-Digital Download
Before you shop! Do you want access to ALL of my printables (including all versions of my Circle Time Binder)? Join my printables club!
This 21- page printable includes the following pages:
Circle Time Skills
Who's at home?
Who is here today?
How are you feeling?
Months of the Year x2
Calendar date Pieces x2
Days of the week x2
Yesterday was, Today is, Tomorrow will be
Today's Weather is
Uppercase Letters Poster
Lowercase Letters Poster
Check out this post for a closer look inside this pack, and assembly directions:
Dramatic Play Pie Stand Set
*Note: Want access to ALL of my Printables? Find out how you can purchase a membership to access this set and all of my other printables
This 59-Page Pie Stand Dramatic Play set includes everything you'll need for your Pie Stand. From all of your pie fixings, to Pie Stand Accessories. Use this set to create laminated paper pie making pieces, felt pies, or even Play Dough Pie Making Mats.
Choose to print from the following 3 sizes of Pies: Small (4 pies to a sheet), Medium (2 pies to a sheet), and Large (one pie to a sheet).
The following pie fixings are included for each size:
Pre-made Crust (Tin & Bottom Crust Combined)
3-Top Crusts: Regular, Lattice, and Whipped
Also Includes the following Pie Stand Accessories:
Pie Order Form
"Pie Stand" Sign
"Apple Pie Stand" Sign
"Pumpkin Pie Stand" Sign
Pie Stand Open & Closed Signs
Pie Flavors Sign
6 Recipe Cards
Pie Making Recipe Book Binder Cover
11 Ingredient Cards + 1 Blank
4-Pie Making Word Wall Cards
This download Single use only.
Please do not make copies or share with other people.
This is only for Personal/non-commercial use.
All Printables are copyrighted. This download may not be used to create items for sale or share.
Veterinarian Dramatic Play Pack-Digital Download
Before you buy! Want access to ALL of my printables (including this pack)? Join the Daycare Spaces and Ideas Printables Club!
This 17-page Dramatic Play pack is perfect to compliment your Veterinarian themed dramatic play area. This Pet Clinic Pack includes the following printables:
*Welcome to the Pet Clinic Sign
*Pet Clinic Form
*Waiting Area/X-Ray Signs
*Exam Area/Surgery Area Signs
*Supply Labels: Bandages, X-Rays, Medical Supplies & Medicine
*A "Veterinarians hard at work" Poster showing real images of Veterinarians
* 7-Xray Images: (Bird, Fish, Guinea Pig, Turtle, Rabbit, Dog Paws, and a Cat Head)
*Resource Page with links to additional resources
Have your photos featured on Daycare Spaces and Ideas!
Find a Provider